Bronchitis refers to the trachea, bronchial mucosa and chronic non-specific inflammation of the surrounding tissue. Bronchitis, the main cause of chronic non-specific bronchial inflammation and recurrent viral infection bacteria. When the temperature drops, ischemic airway spasm of small blood vessels, defense function decline in favor of pathogenic; smoke and dust, air pollution and other chronic stimulation also be the disease; smoking bronchial spasm, mucosal variation, reduce cilia movement, increased mucus secretion favorable infection; allergic factors also have a certain relationship.
In winter, cold weather, the air is dry, easy airway resistance decreased. Especially in patients with chronic bronchitis due to long-term chronic bronchitis, airway epithelium may have some damage to the organization of the entire airway, which are some of the pathological changes are more prone to infection. Chronic bronchitis slow onset, longer duration, recurrent gradually increased. The main symptoms are cough, sputum, wheezing or shortness of breath, especially early in the morning or at night as the most important, increased sputum volume. When emphysema, in addition to a cough, sputum, wheezing and other symptoms, the gradual emergence of dyspnea. Initially in the labor only when shortness of breath, with the progression of the disease, after resting also feel short of breath.
Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial pulmonary medium. Acute bronchitis is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection. It can last for days or weeks. Chronic bronchitis is not necessarily caused by an infection, it may be part of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. COPD refers to two consecutive years, a cough lasting more than three months sputum.
1. Acute Bronchitis
Early onset of acute bronchitis usually presented upper respiratory tract infection symptoms, patients often have nasal congestion, runny, sore throat and hoarseness and other clinical manifestations. The relatively minor symptoms, but there may be fever, chills, general fatigue, and itchy throat conscious and irritating cough and chest pain. Early sputum are small, but difficult to cough up sputum, the sputum may be 2 to 3 days into mucinous purulent mucus. Patients with cold, cold air or irritant gases can exacerbate or induce cough cough. Early morning or at night when the patient coughs often more significant. Coughing for paroxysmal, persistent cough and sometimes was. Often accompanied by nausea, vomiting and chest, abdominal muscle pain, severe cough. If accompanied by bronchospasm, may have wheezing and shortness of breath. Generally, acute bronchitis course there is a certain self-limiting, symptoms may subside in 4-5 days, but the cough may be extended for several weeks.
Physical examination can sometimes be found in dry rales, cough disappeared; the bottom of the lungs moist rales can be heard even when accompanied by bronchospasm, wheezing can be heard. White blood cell count is usually normal, chest X-ray examination and no abnormal findings.
2. Chronic bronchitis
Chronic bronchitis, chronic cough refers excluding various other reasons, patients annually chronic cough, sputum more than three months, and for two consecutive years. It is not necessarily accompanied by persistent airflow limitation.
(1) long-term cough, repeated, gradually worsening cough is a prominent manifestation of this disease. The incidence of light only in the winter season, especially early in the morning to get up around the most obvious, daytime cough less. Summer and autumn, cough, decreased or disappeared. Critically ill patients are the four seasons cough, increased winter, day and night cough, sooner or later is particularly intense.
(2) General sputum expectoration white foamy mucus, morning more often due to sticky and difficult to spit. The rapidly increasing symptoms of infection or after exposure to cold, increased sputum volume, viscosity increase, or yellow purulent sputum or accompanied by wheezing. Occasionalism drama cough and bloody sputum.
(3) When combined with respiratory infections, asthma, due to bronchial mucosa congestion and edema, mucus obstruction and bronchial stenosis, can produce asthma (wheezing) symptoms. Patients with asthma occurs song in the throat when breathing, wheeze when lung auscultation.
(4) repeated infection or sudden change in temperature during the cold season, prone to repeated respiratory infections. In this case aggravated asthma patients, sputum volume increased significantly, and purulent, accompanied by malaise, chills, fever. Lungs moist sound, check white blood cell count increased and so on. Repeated respiratory infections, especially easy to make the elderly patient’s condition deteriorated, must be full attention.
Early signs of the disease more non-specific, at the bottom of the lungs most patients can hear a little wet or dry rales. Sometimes after you cough or sputum may temporarily disappear. Long-term cases can be found in emphysema onset of signs.
Chronic bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, bronchial asthma relationship between: chronic bronchitis and emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease closely related to clinical patients with cough, sputum and other symptoms time, and can not immediately be diagnosed COPD. If the patient only “chronic bronchitis” and / or “emphysema” clinical manifestations, without persistent airflow limitation, you can not be diagnosed as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the patient can only be diagnosed as “chronic bronchitis” and / or “emphysema.” However, if the lung function in patients prompted persistent airflow limitation, the diagnosis of COPD. Some patients suffering from bronchial asthma, but also can be complicated by chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Such as bronchial asthma patients are often exposed to irritating substances, such as smoking, it can also occur cough and sputum, and cough and sputum is an important feature of chronic bronchitis. These patients can be diagnosed as “asthmatic bronchitis.”
Chinese medicine believes bronchitis pathogenesis Yes. Evils invasion and lung, spleen, kidney three dirty dysfunction, is the main cause of this disease. Lack of positive energy within the body, feeling the external evil invasion. External evil can be either cold evil, but also wind-heat evil, evil can also be cold and heat, affects the lungs, lung failure Xuan Su; or lung weakness, complex sense of evils; or infirmity Insufficiency of qi, spleen lost health movement, wet poly phlegm to stop accumulating in the lungs; or lung chronic disease, complex sense of evils; or after a long illness, the Insufficiency of kidney damage, leading to kidney deficiency, qi has no right Wait.
According to traditional Chinese medicine is divided into different symptoms of bronchitis:
1. cold attack the lungs: cough, itchy throat, sputum thin white color; nasal congestion, runny, headache, fever, no sweat; thin white fur, floating and tight pulse. Select acupuncture points: lieque, fengchi, fengmen.
2. wind-heat invading lung: cough, yellow sputum, expectoration unhappy; dry mouth, sore throat, nasal flow yellow nose, fever, headache; moss thin yellow, floating pulse. Acupuncture Select: dazhui, quchi.
3. Phlegm invade the lungs: cough, sputum, sticky sputum color white; chest abdominal full of nausea, anorexia Shenpi, greasy tongue coating; slippery pulse. Select acupuncture points: taibai, taiyuan, fenglong, pishu.
4. anger invade the lungs: cough, sputum less sticky quality; chest ache, throat, mouth pain; red tongue, yellow less-chun, pulse a few strings. Acupuncture points chosen: xingjian, jinqu, ganshu.
5. lung and kidney yin deficiency: cough with little phlegm or bloody sputum, or hemoptysis; hot flashes, night sweats, dysphoria hot, insomnia, fatigue, weak waist; red tongue, little coating. Select acupuncture points; feishu, gaohuangshu, chize, zhaohai.
Information about the acupuncture treatment of bronchitis，Please call Adelaide Yihong Acupuncture Clinic or visit our website at www.adelaideacupuncture.com.au