Acupuncture treatment of oral ulcers
Mouth ulcers, refers to the mucous membranes of the mouth lips, tongue, cheeks and palate and other soft tissue at the occurrence of single or multiple yellow-white circular or oval ulcers point in eating, drinking, brushing teeth, even when speaking to touch ulcer will feel significant pain or burning sensation, some patients prone to repeated attacks. The disease is one of the most common oral mucosal diseases. In his youth, a lot of mouth ulcers because in the process of eating, teeth against the inner wall of the oral mucosal epithelial surface of the tongue or chew damage. As many bacteria in the mouth, bacteria into the wound site exposed connective tissue complex biological and chemical action ulcer formation, thereby forming a mouth ulcers. But this is only the existence of an oral ulcer formed one of the reasons, do not rule out other oral ulcers pathogenic factors caused by the cause of the problem.
That the general theory of Western medicine, recurrent oral ulcers and immunity has a very close relationship. Some patients showed immune deficiency, some patients is manifested as an autoimmune response, which is due to various factors, so that the body’s normal immune system of their own tissue antigens to produce immune response, which leads to tissue destruction and disease. Secondly, there is a genetic relationship, in the clinic, the incidence of recurrent oral ulcers, with a clear familial tendency, they often see parents if one or more parties with recurrent oral ulcers, then their children than the average person more vulnerable to disease. In addition, the onset of recurrent oral ulcers, often with a number of diseases or symptoms related to digestive diseases such as gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, chronic or persistent hepatitis, colitis, anemia addition, the partial eclipse, indigestion, diarrhea , fever, lack of sleep, fatigue, mental stress, work pressure, menstrual cycle changes, and so on. With one or more active factors, alternating, overlapping appeared decreased immunity, immune dysfunction, thus causing recurrent oral ulcers frequent seizures. Oral ulcers are divided into the following types:
1. Minor oral ulcers: 80 per cent of patients with oral ulcers, are of this type when the majority of patients with early onset. Ulcers occur in the lips, tongue, buccal mucosa. Since the beginning of oral ulcers focal mucosal congestion and edema, miliary red, burning clear, followed by the formation of superficial ulcers, round or oval, diameter <5mm. About 5d ulcers began to heal, then ulcers formation of granulation tissue, reduced wound, swelling subsided, and pain relief. About 7 to 10d ulcer healing, leaving no scar. Ulcers usually 3-5, scattered. Gap of ulcer recurrence ranging from half to several months, and some patients will appear one after another, delayed healing situation. Some patients have more regular cycles, such as the onset of menstruation, or after the onset of constant fatigue. Usually no obvious symptoms and signs.
2. Severe oral ulcers: recurrent necrotic mucosal glands or gland weeks aphthous stomatitis week. Large and deep ulcers, healing or scar tissue defects can be formed, it is also known as recurrent aphthous ulcer scar. This type accounts for about 8%. It occurs in adolescence. Large and deep ulcers, like “crater” shape, can be as deep submucosal glands and glandular tissues, may be greater than the diameter of 1cm, tissue swelling around the ulcer slightly elevated basal micro hard surface greyish yellow or gray pseudomembranous necrotic tissue. Ulcer duration longer, up to 1-2 months or longer. Usually 1-2 ulcer, but appear in the healing process can be one or several small ulcers. Severe pain, the prognosis may leave scarring. Initial occur in the mouth, followed by migration trends have to back of the mouth. It occurred in the back of the mouth such as the tongue stunned arch, soft palate junction can cause tissue defects affecting speech and swallowing. May be associated with general malaise, local lymph node swelling. In previous ulcer can heal at relapse.
3. Herpetiformis oral ulcers ulcers: also known as aphthous stomatitis type, accounting for about 10% of patients with oral ulcers. Mainly in adult women, but smaller diameter ulcer, about 1-2mm, the number of ulcers and more, up to a dozen or dozens scattered, like “stars.” Nearby ulcers can be connected into a sheet, mucosal redness, pain most important, increased salivation. It may be associated with headache, fever and general malaise, local lymph node swelling and other symptoms.
Chinese medicine believes that oral ulcers are divided into: sthenia syndrome and deficiency syndrome ulcers mouth ulcers. Hair of acute oral ulcers mostly real disease. More from the heart and spleen accumulated heat, caused by exogenous evil heat. Visible mouth ulcers more irregular shape, size, color yellow, burning pain, red hot mouth, thirst, bad breath, vermilion dry tongue, dry stool, urine short yellow veins real strong, reddish yellow fur or thick and greasy. Long illness were mostly empty fire is mouth sores, usually caused by hyperactivity; or false positive float caused by the evil hot steamed; floating or virtual fire-induced mouth sores. Visible mouth ulcers of varying sizes, recurrent, sallow color, mild heartburn, dry mouth, throat not want to drink, five upset hot, hot face vermilion, waist and knees, pulse string.
1. Wind-heat type of oral ulcers: fever, headache, sore throat, dry mouth, thirst, body aches, fatigue, dark urine, constipation, insomnia, irritability, cough, yellow sputum. Floating pulse, or floating and tight, red tongue, yellow. This is exogenous wind-heat, lung damage, caused by heat. Treatment ideas: clearing away heat, purging fire detoxification. Acupuncture point selection:hegu, fengchi, dazhui, quchi, lieque, zhaohai.
2. Hot Oral ulcers: oral burning, thirst, bad breath, upset, insomnia, constipation, dark urine, sore throat or dry. Slippery pulse, or string, or a few powerful. Red tongue, yellow and greasy or yellow dry. Because in the fiery Sheng caused, hot up, burns to the mouth. Treatment ideas: heat purging fire, detoxification. Acupuncture point selection:hegu, yingxiang, quchi, shangwan, neiting, sugu.
3. Yin deficiency Oral ulcers: dry mouth, thirst, do not want to drink, fatigue, weakness, dysphoria hot, the urine will be negative, upset, anxiety, palpitations, anxiety. Often easy to cold. Rapid pulse, and weakness string, red, dry tongue, no moss or less moss and dry. This is a deficiency heat. Deficiency heat, virtual fire inflammation, burns oropharynx. Treatment ideas: clearing away heat, purging fire Chufan. Acupuncture point selection:laogong, shaoze, sanjian, taichong, bailao, ganshu, yamen, houxi, shenmai.
4.qi Deficiency oral ulcers: pale, spontaneous body tired and less gas weakness, chills, Eat, loose stool. Often easy to cold. Rapid pulse, weakness, or was thin, pale tongue, white fur. Qi and cause mouth ulcers. Treatment Ideas: Qi lifting yang. Acupuncture point selection:guanyuan, zhongwan, zusanli, chongyang, neiting, dicang, baihui, fengchi, dazhui, chengsan, kunlun, xinshu, ganshu.
Information about the acupuncture treatment of oral ulcers，Please call Adelaide Yihong Acupuncture Clinic or visit our website at www.adelaideacupuncture.com.au